Sunday, March 17, 2013

Drop the XR, Drop the LBs!

In a strange and sudden turn of events, my doctor's clinic closed a few months ago. It wasn't really a problem except for the fact that my meds were all in need of reauthorization. After a few days (by which I mean weeks) of phone tag, I eventually got my doc to refill my script for Effexor only to find that the pharmacy gave me Venlafaxine HCL instead of Venlafaxine HCL XR. That XR is crucial, in that it stands for extended relief.

To be honest, I haven't felt any difference in its efficacy. If anything, I'm less tired and cataplexy-y on this version of the drug. The problem though, which you can read about on an drug review site, is that the XR has fewer and subtler side effects. Specifically people say that nausea associated with Effexor is less invasive with the XR.

On the version of the drug I'm taking now, I'm not nauseous all the time, but the following activities do trigger some SERIOUS dry heaving:

- Exercise
- Eating
- Getting out of bed
- Drying my hair
- Doing my laundry
- Going up stairs
- Going down stairs
- Thinking about stairs
- Vigorous stretching
- Standing up

I've also had a pounding in headache for two days (I started the new drug four days ago). Now I did have 1.5 PBR's on Friday, so it could be that. It seems unlikely though.

There are a lot of correlations between narcolepsy and extreme weight gain (possibly because of the amount of time spent resting, or because of the body's natural inclination to stock up on calories in response to fatigue). I'm thinking Effexor nausea may be the cure for that! Right now, in order to eat something, I would have to stand up, which would cause the nausea, and would probably eliminate the urge to eat.

The way I see it, there are three possible outcomes of this medicine switch:
1. I'm gonna get freakin' hot and lose those winter LBs
2. I'm going to die of starvation
3. I'm gonna power through and continue to eat the way I do now but just feel like vomiting on my way to the fridge.

Option 1 would be nice, but I have a feeling #3's gonna make a strong run...

No comments:

Post a Comment